Starting a Meeting
1. Go to https://meet.exitty.com
2. Type a name (no spaces) for your meeting.
3. Click the GO button.
4. Your browser may request permission to use your camera and microphone. You may also need to turn on your camera and microphone, if you have used a control on your computer to turn them off.
5. Your “meeting room” is open! Click on “Copy” in the information dialog to copy all the meeting details (an invitation prepared in the language of your choice) to your computer’s clipboard so that you can email or otherwise send it to participants. Click the copy icon ( ) beside the link to copy just the meeting’s URL.
Tips for a Successful Meet Experience
Before the Meeting or Call
- Location: Find a spot away from noise and distractions.
• Preparedness: Ensure that your technology is working.
• Identity: Use your full name and any relevant affiliation.
During the Meeting or Call
- Mute: If everyone is not muted upon entry into the room, mute your own line when you are not speaking.
- Hold: Do not put the call “on hold” - if your hold feature plays background music, the hold music will play and will disrupt the meeting for everyone else. Hang up and re-join the meeting after you complete your other call.
- Video: Video uses a lot of bandwidth; you can turn off your video to improve the quality of the call.
- Chat / Raise Hand: Respond to something or indicate you have
something to say with these great features.
- Tardiness: If you sign on after the call has started, use the chat, wait for the host to recognize you or wait for a break to say hello.
- Troubleshooting: Chat, email or text someone who is on the call who is not the convenor or coordinator.
You can mute and un-mute your microphone by clicking on the microphone icon amongst the controls that appear at the bottom of your screen when you move your mouse pointer in the meeting window.
You can turn your camera on and off. Click on the camera icon amongst the controls that appear at the bottom of your meeting room window when you move your mouse pointer.
Sharing your screen
Meet allows for screen sharing on desktop, tablet and mobile devices. The host and attendees can share their screens instead of their video by clicking on the Share your screen icon.
When you click on the icon, you will be prompted to share a window or the entire screen. Select what you want to share and “Allow” the sharing, if prompted.
When you are in a meeting, it can be very handy to use your keyboard to navigate Meet’s features. For example, you can mute your microphone and then use the space bar to “push to talk” when you have something to say.
You do not need to remember them all! You can use the “Keyboard shortcuts” list on the last page of these instructions or press “?” during your call to pull up the Keyboard shortcuts reminder.
The in-meeting chat allows you to send chat messages to other users within a meeting. You can send a message to the entire group. Click on Chat to open the chat window.
Type your message in the Chat dialogue and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard to “send” it. You can click on the “smiley” icon to add emoticons to your message. Your message appears in the Chat messages list. You can close the Chat overlay by clicking on the “X” in the corner.
Nonverbal feedback mechanism
Meeting participants can click on the Raise / Lower your hand icon to provide nonverbal feedback to the meeting host and to each other. This icon provides the host with information from the participants without disrupting the flow of the meeting.